I took the girls to the mall after preschool today. It was going to be a quick trip- just lunch & one return. Well I haven't quite figured out this mall completely yet, and was surprised when we walked in that I hadn't parked where I thought I had. I was trying to strategically park where we could avoid walking by the train & carousel ($2 a ride!).
I made my return, and we started towards the food court. I forgot all about the pet store right outside of Macy's, and of course the girls noticed and begged to see the puppies. It was past lunch time, but I said okay anyways (the girls would really LOVE to have a puppy, but that's another story). I'm trying to get them out of the store, so I walk out into the mall a little ways hoping they'll follow. I look back to see if they're coming, and right at that moment I see Ally pick up a little dog biscuit from a display and put it in her mouth!! I'm thinking GROSS, and oh great I have to pay for that, all at the same time. Ally spits it out on the floor before I can even get to her, and we make a quick exit.
We finally get to the food court (after a bathroom stop), and all is well (except for the girls eating most of my pizza - I didn't guess right on how much they would eat, I never do). Then the talk turns to Santa Claus being in the mall. Yes, the mall is in full Christmas mode already! The whole walk through the mall Anya has been dragging behind, ooohing & aahhing over the Christmas decorations. The girls were being good so I agreed to let them go take a look at Santa, I didn't think they would really want to sit on his lap or anything.
There is no line for Santa so we walk right up. Anya is hiding behind me, and Ally starts to cry. I tell Anya to go ahead, and I'll watch with Ally - Anya won't budge. Anya wants to go, but not by herself. So I go to see Santa too, with one kid clinging to my neck, and the other clinging to my leg. Anya perks up, and tells Santa she wants about a million things, and Ally peeks out to say Mickey Mouse. I was pleased they both talked, and they were pleased with the paper elf hats & coloring books Santa gave them.
I'm thinking okay, we have to go, it's almost nap time. We make it back upstairs (not a small feat in a mall with 1 broken elevator), and Anya wants one more look down at Santa. My patience is running thin, but I say go ahead. She drops her coloring book down through the rails, and she starts to melt down. I was ready to forget it, but this nice lady is holding it for us while we come down. I CAN'T go all the way back to the elevator, so I ditch the stroller at the top of the escalator, and head down with Ally. In my haste, it didn't occur to me that Anya might need help getting on the escalator too. I'm half way down with Ally, and Anya is at the top freaking out. I talk her into stepping on, and down she goes screaming the whole way. Boy, do I feel like a bad Mom. On the way back up the escalator while carrying 72 lbs of girls I think, I really hope my stroller is still there.
The moral of the story is.....There is no such thing as a quick trip when you have kids.
2 comments:
Ryan once got on the escalator at Von Maur thinking Ella would get right on behind him. He wound up having to ride all the way up with her screaming and then back down to get her with everyone starting at him.
Was there a hidden camera? I'd love to see that footage.
Post a Comment