The PTO organized a crockpot dinner for the teachers during conferences last night. I brought Waikiki meatballs. Anyone that wanted too could sample the dishes and then vote on which one they liked best. Long story short, I won!! I was very surprised cause I made a couple of errors/short cuts making my meal ;) I even got a prize!
Here's the recipe...
Meatballs-
1 1/2 lbs ground beef (I used ground turkey)
2/3 c saltine cracker crumbs
1/3 c minced onion
1egg
1 1/2 ts salt
1/4 ts ginger
1/4 c milk ( I actually forgot this and my meatball were so dry lol)
1T shortening for frying (I baked mine)
Sauce-
2T corn starch
1/2c brown sugar
1/3 apple cider vinegar
1 can, 15 oz pineapple chunks(save juice)
1T soy sauce
1/3 c green peppers silvered
For the meatballs just mix everything together in a big bowl and shape into balls. Fry in shortening until brown or bake in oven at 350 for about 20 mins. Dump cooked meatballs into the crockpot and make sauce. Mix cornstarch, brown sugar, juice from pineapple, vinegar, and soy sauce together and heat on stove until sauce starts to thicken. (I actually skipped the stove part and just poured it directly into the crockpot after I mixed it) add pineapples and peppers to the meatballs already in the crockpot and cover with sauce. Stir everything together to coat with sauce and cook on low 3 to 4 hours. Serve over rice.


2 comments:
cracker crumbs?... not bread crumbs?... so like graham crackers???
help before I try this and totally screw up your award winning recipe :)
Saltine crackers silly!
Post a Comment